Learn how to create this custom Christmas decoration and how to build a framed wood sign.
If you love simple inspiring projects from crafts to home decor, you’ll want to subscribe to Creative Ramblings. Never miss a post! Plus, subscribers receive exclusive access to my VIP library full of printables, games, cut files, art and more.
This post contains affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy here.
If you like wood signs you’ll want to check out my post with everything you could ever want to know about building and stenciling a wood sign. I even have a wood sign video series devoted to the topic.
Today I’m adding something a little different to this wood sign collection I have created, a simple framed wood sign with a Christmas stencil and vinyl words. This projects combines a few techniques to create a lovely seasonal decoration.
Supplies for a DIY wood sign
Being with a piece of plywood 12×24 inches. This should be a flat piece that is not warped and without too many blemishes. You want an even surface for your stencil and vinyl.
A 1×2 board, 72 total inches in length for the frame.
Gray stain and white chalk paint to cover the board and frame.
Cutting machine to but the words from vinyl and the tree stencil. I used my Silhouette for this project, you can learn more in the video with this post. You can also use a Cricut to cut a similar design.
Paint the plywood white and let it dry completely, then head to your design software to cut the words and tree stencil.
I cut a stencil of Christmas trees and painted them with an array of green to create a pretty forest. This gives the sign some texture and compliments the black vinyl words well.
There are a number of ways to create a stencil with a cutting machine. You can make one time use adhesive stencils with vinyl or contact paper like I did for these trees. Or you can create reusable stencils.
Watch the video and learn how to build a framed wood sign
- Paint brushes
- Rag for stain
- Cut and sand the wood. Cut the 1x2 into pieces that will frame the board. This should be 2 24 inch pieces and 2 pieces just over 13 inches.
- Paint the plywood white and stain the frame pieces gray, let dry completely.
- Cut the words from black vinyl using a Silhouette and apply them to the plywood. Watch this tutorial for more details on applying vinyl and cutting stencils.
- Cut a tree stencil from Contact paper and add it to the center of the plywood.
- Paint the tress with green paint varying the color for each tree.
- Dry fit the frame around the plywood
- Apply a thin line of wood glue to the bottom edge of the two longest frame pieces and place them onto the outer edge of the plywood. Use a clamp to hold them in place until dry.
- Repeat this step for the side pieces.
Be sure to watch the video for detailed instructions.
If you like this framed wood sign be sure to pin it
Looking for more wood sign inspiration? Check out these projects.
This post was originally published in 2018, updated with more detail in 2020.