A Christmas tree skirt is an easy way to transform or update a tree. Change up the tree skirt and give your old tree a new dose of style. I’m sharing a crazy simple DIY tutorial on how to make a colorful Christmas tree skirt. Customize the colors and trim to fit your style and your tree will have a whole new look in no time!
This post contains affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy here.
This is week 2 of the Deck the Home challenges. Be sure to check out last week’s post, a simple Dollar Tree Door Hanger. Each week a big group of holiday loving bloggers are bringing you DIY projects centering around a theme. This week we were challenged to create something for the home in less than 2 hours. This tree skirt definitely fits that bill!
If you love simple inspiring projects from crafts to home decor, you’ll want to subscribe to Creative Ramblings. Subscribers receive exclusive access to my VIP library full of printables, games, cut files, art, and more. Plus a regular newsletter with exclusive content.
In this tutorial I am going to walk you through the basic steps of making a tree skirt, any tree skirt! Follow these steps to create a skirt for any tree with just about any kind of fabric. When it comes to the trim that’s where you can get creative. I love the modern bright Christmas tree skirt, but you can create something more traditional or farmhouse style too!
Here are the basic supplies you will need to start this project. A sewing machine is not necessary, you can complete this Christmas tree skirt with just a glue gun. Whatever your preference it will hold up just fine around your tree.
This is a beginner sewing project, if you are not a pro start with something like this tree skirt to really get the hang of a sewing machine. I love my Singer and highly recommend this if you are looking to create more simple sewing projects for your home.
Make this a no sew project by grabbing your trusty glue gun and favorite trim and you will have a tree skirt in no time.
Be sure to watch the video to see all the steps so you can start making your own.
- Sewing machine
- Hot glue gun (optional)
- Start with a square of white flannel that measures 36 inches. Fold the flannel into quarters so it makes a smaller square.
- Tie a string around the end of the pencil and measure 18 inches from the pencil to the end of the string. Cut the string at 18 inches.
- Hold the end of the string at the folded corner of the flannel and draw an arc with the other end attached to the pencil. This will give you a perfect circle.
- Cut all layers of flannel along this arc.
- Repeat step 2 cutting the string at 4 inches.
- Draw a smaller arc and cut along the line to make a center circle.
- Unfold the flannel to reveal a circle with a smaller circle cut out of the middle.
- Cut a straight line from the outside to the inside circle.
- Use a sewing machine or hot glue gun to add trim along the outside edge of the circle.
Love this project? Pin it now.
This colorful modern Christmas tree skirt with tassels is around my new white tree this year. This tree is filled with colorful fun ornaments and sits next to my front door to greet visitors. Stay tuned for a full video of this white Christmas tree.
We all have different styles, what kind of trim would you add to this simple Christmas tree skirt?
Thanks for visiting!