A simple notepad is always handy to have around. Learn how to make an easy DIY notepad using scrap paper and following this simple tutorial.
This post may contain affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy.
I like to keep a notepad in my purse, one on my desk, I even have one in my car. I found an easy way to make cute notepads that can double as simple gifts.
We all have a phones to hold notes and details, but sometimes I still grab a pen to write down things I need to remember. This tutorial for a DIY notepad will help you upcycle some scrap paper and turn it into a cute notepad to keep on hand.
Watch this tutorial and learn how to make this DIY notepad
The key to making these notepads is Padding Compound. This compound seals the scrap paper together and dries clear and soft so the pages easily tear off. You can buy padding compound here to make your own notepads.
- Scrap paper
- Padding Compound
- Gather up scrap paper. Ideally go for regular weight paper and not thicker stock.
- Cut paper to a uniform size. For this notepad I chose 4x3 inch rectangles. Using a paper trimmer will help ensure your edges are straight and all the pieces are uniform.
- Stack the paper together to create a flat edge. Clip together with binder clips.
- Use a paint brush to apply a small amount of padding compound onto the edge of the stack of paper. Fully cover the edge. Let this sit to dry for 2 hours at least. Depending on how thick a coat you applied you may need to wait longer.
- Once dry, remove the binder clips and your notepad will stick together at the top.
- Embellish the notepad with stamps on the bottom corner of each page.
- Cut a piece of cardstock to 3x11 inches.
- Then score the cardstock at the 4 inch and 4.25 inches.
- Flip the cardstock around and score at 2.25 and 2.5 inches.
- Fold the cardstock on the score lines to create a fold over cover.
- Glue the back page of the notepad inside the cover.
- Embellish the cover with anything you like to create a cute DIY notepad.
Try a simpler version of this notepad by just gluing the back page to a piece of cardstock.
Dressing these notepads up in colorful cardstock covers and adding a few festive embellishments turns them into functional gifts. Add one to a gift bag with a nice pen and just about anyone will be appreciative.
You can also go really simple here with just a cover on the front and back, a single piece of cardstock folded in half with the word notes written on the front.
Or just glue the last page of your notepad to a piece of cardstock or cardboard for durability and skip the embellishments. A very functional notepad DIY for all your needs.
Like this project? Be sure to pin and share it.
Thanks for visiting!
This project was originally published in 2017, updated in 2021 with new photos and more detailed information.