This week I started decorating for fall. I pulled out some old stand by decor from years past and headed to Dollar Tree for supplies to create new pieces. Today I’m sharing how to create a Dollar Tree fall wood sign with a faux wood finish using simple supplies. Read on for the full tutorial.
This post may contain affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy.
Dollar Tree is my go to store for basic supplies and easy DIY decor. Yes you can buy already made fall decor items in the store, but why not have a little fun and get creative!
Dollar tree is full of basic craft supplies and cute seasonal items. Pick up some paint and blanks to stock your craft room.
This faux wood sign was made with a piece of foam board, a felt pumpkin and lots of paint. For around $3 I made a stand out piece of art that will be perfect on my mantle this season.
You can pick these supplies up at your local dollar store, or order online from Walmart or Amazon to have these items delivered right to you. Find a break down of supplies below.
Watch the video for step by step instructions on how to make this Dollar Tree fall wood sign as well as 2 other simple Dollar Tree fall projects.
- White foam board
- Felt pumpkin decoration
- White chalk spray paint
- Acrylic paint in gray white and black
- Paint brushes
- Start by painting a faux wood finish on the foam board.
- To do this paint the whole board with gray paint.
- While that paint is still wet, use a wide dry brush to streak white paint over the gray. The gray should show through the white.
- Using a small brush, add black lines across the foam board to look like planks of wood.
- Finally, use the white paint brush to smooth out and fade the black lines so they appear worn.
- Let the foam board dry completely.
- Take the board outside and place the pumpkin shape in the middle, weigh it down with rocks.
- Spray multiple light coats of white chalk paint covering the entire board until the wood finish is no longer visible.
- Remove the pumpkin and let everything dry.
Try this project for other seasons! Use a tree shape or ornament for Christmas, or a heart for Valentine's day.
Creating a large scale fall wood sign doesn’t have to cost a fortune. Use this technique to create signs for every season and decorate your home.
If you like this Dollar Tree fall wood sign, be sure to pin this and share it with your fall loving friends.
More fall decor, up next….
Thanks for visiting!