A bright floral flower pot makes the perfect piece of decor for your outdoor space. It also makes a special gift for a loved one this summer. Learn how to make pretty floral mod podge terracotta pots and how you can use this technique to make pots in any size or pattern.
This post may contain affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy.
I love colorful flower pots, I have shared pretty geometric painted pots and indoor planters with puns! One of my most popular posts is how to properly seal painted flower pots so your art work will stay vibrant for years.
Today’s post is all about how to decorate terracotta pots with intricate patterns, no hand painting required. I’m using Mod Podge and inexpensive napkins to get this look.
The full tutorial is further down in this post, as well as a video laying out the project in detail. Here are a few tips before you get started.
Mod Podge Terracotta Pots Tips
- Start with clean clay pots.
- Use gloss Mod Podge for a shiney hard finish.
- Seal the inside of the pot as a final coat to prevent water seeping and cracking the design.
- Pick a paper napkin in any pattern you want, this technique will work to make any style or size pot.
- Terracotta or clay pot
- Paper napkins
- Mod Podge - gloss
- White paint
- Paint brushes
- Craft knife
- Paint a pot white and let dry completely.
- Separate a napkin by gently peeling back the solid colored backing, discard the backing.
- Cut the napkin to fit around the pot.
- Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the pot on one small section.
- Place the napkin over the Mod Podge and press lightly.
- Repeat in sections until the napkin completely covers the pot.
- Roughly trim the edges, final precise trimming can be done at the end.
- Apply a top coat of Mod Podge over the napkin from just below the lip of the pot including the bottom, let dry completely.
- Once dry, use a craft knife to trim the edges around the lip of the pot.
- Add a final coat of Mod Podge to the entire pot including the painted parts and the inside.
I made a few of these terracotta pots this summer and plan on giving them as gifts. With a few outdoor or indoor plants they will brighten someone’s day for sure.
Grab napkins in bright summer colors like the ones I used, or go for a more formal pattern with napkins like these. Using this simple Mod Podge technique you can make decorative flower pots in any pattern that compliment your decor. You can even make these pots using fabric!
Pin this project and share with your crafty friends!
What pattern would you use on your Mod Podge terracotta pots?
Thanks for visiting!
More flower pot projects you can try