Wood signs come in all shapes and sizes and are a fun way to decorate your home. Learn how to create a wood sign with iron on vinyl in this simple craft tutorial.
This post may contain affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy.
I’ve been sharing wood sign videos and posts with you for years. There are so many techniques available for creating these versatile home decor pieces. If you want to learn more, check out my full wood sign series on YouTube or start with this post.
Today I’m sharing how to use iron on vinyl to embellish a wood sign. No stencils or adhesive vinyl in this project. It’s a fun technique that you can use on wood pieces of any size.
I’m demonstrating this technique on a small scale Spring blank with cut bee cut outs. But don’t let the size stop you, iron on can be used on all kinds of wood signs!
I picked up some cute seasonal blanks from Joann, their Spring collection is full of bee related items that are just adorable. I chose to paint the blanks using Decoart paint in yellow, black and gold. You can also stain the wood before applying iron on.
This Decoart Enchanted Shimmer paint is stunning so I try to use it as an accent wherever I can. I start with a black base then add a coat of the shimmer over the top. The effect is a beautiful gold finish that changes as the light moves.
Once the paint is on and dry, it’s time to design, cut and apply the iron on.
I used my Cricut Joy and EasyPress mini for this project. The perfect sized items for quick and easy projects.
Be sure to watch the video for a full tutorial on how to make these cute bee signs and how to apply iron on to wood.
How to Create a Wood Sign with Iron On
Use iron on vinyl to create wood decor pieces.
- Black iron on vinyl
- Wood blank
- Paint in yellow, black and gold
- Cricut Joy
- Cricut Joy Mat
- Cricut EasyPress Mini
- Weeding Tool
- Paint brushes
- Paint the wood blanks and let dry completely. You can also stain the wood.
- In Cricut Design Space, choose an image or create your own using text. For this project I wrote the words Be Kind and Be Yourself using Babette font.
- Size the text to fit the wood blank.
- Group everything together and click Make It.
- Mirror the image before cutting.
- Apply iron on vinyl to the mat shiny side down and load it into the machine to cut.
- Unload the mat when complete, pull off the vinyl and weed away the excess vinyl.
- Cut the plastic carrier sheet to fit the wood blank, you want the vinyl to lay flat on the wood.
- Heat the EasyPress using the Cricut Heat Guide. For this project set the EasyPress mini to Medium.
- Place the vinyl on the wood and press the EasyPress onto it for 40 seconds, make sure to move it around to cover all the vinyl.
- Let cool for a few seconds then pull off the plastic.
These small bee themed wood signs make a fun accent in a Spring centerpiece. I have yellow throughout my home and they fit in so well. A collection of little wood pieces makes great wall art too.
Making a wood sign with iron on is a simple technique that you can use for any wood decor. I hope you found this tutorial helpful and you are ready to make your own wood sign.
If you like this project be sure to pin and share it.
Thanks for visiting!
Wednesday 21st of April 2021
I love the bee and lemon theme. Great job!