This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Joann, all opinions are my own.
Want to learn how to tie-dye like a pro? In this post I’m teaching you how to easily make a heart tie-dye t-shirt with an all in one kit, plus tips for embellishing this shirt for Valentine’s Day.
This post contains affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy here.
If you love simple inspiring projects from crafts to home decor, you’ll want to subscribe to Creative Ramblings. Subscribers receive exclusive access to my VIP library full of printables, games, cut files, art, and more. Plus a regular newsletter with exclusive content.
What is tie-dye?
Tie-dye as we know it is a relatively modern technique that found popularity in the 1960’s. It’s the art of resist dyeing that includes tieing off sections of fabric and soaking the garment in colorful dyes.
There are hundreds of ways to tie up a shirt and create swirls of color. The key to a good tie-dye job is to follow the dye instructions closely. Each garment will come out slightly different, but following the directions will result in vibrant colors and beautiful patterns.
I recommend this one step tie-dye kit from Joann. It comes with a rainbow of colors, protective items for you and your surface as well as instructions for how to create a variety of designs.
A tie-dye heart is a cute design that can be worn for Valentine’s Day. Check out the instructions below for all the details.
Find more DIY Valentine’s Day projects here.
Here are the products I started with, the tie-dye kit and a pack of fabric markers. Plus a few key items that will make this process a breeze.
- Tulip One Step Tie-Dye Kit
- Fabric markers
- White t-shirt
- Zip bag
- Wire rack
- Soak a white t-shirt in water and ring out excess.
- Fold shirt in half lengthwise and draw half a heart with pencil.
- Pleat the shirt along the pencil line
- Once the shirt is pleated from one end to the other, tie a rubberband around the shirt at the pencil line.
- Add a few more rubber bands along the length of the shirt to complete the deisgn.
- Prep your surface for dying. Lay out the plastic sheet and put on gloves. Place the wire rack on top of the sheet and your shirt on top of the rack.
- The dye bottles in this kit come prefilled with powder coloring. Fill to the line with water and shake well. Squeeze each color onto the shirt.
- For this shirt I used 2 shades of pink in different sections.
- When the entire shirt is covered in dye, seal it in a zip bag for 4-6 hours to let the color work.
- After 4-6 hours, remove from the bag and rinse under cold water. Remove the rubber bands and machine wash and dry to allow the color to set.
- When the shirt is dry, decorate with fabric markers. I wrote the word love in red and added a black shadow. The marker will set and can be washed regularly.
Are you ready to make a tie-dye heart shirt? Be sure to pin and share this project.
What would you write inside your shirt?
Thanks for visiting!