An in-depth post and video on how to make a wood sign with vinyl using the small but mighty Cricut Joy. You can apply this technique to any Cricut machine and start making wooden signs with vinyl lettering today.
This post may contain affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy here.
If you are reading this, you are interested in learning how to make your own wood signs. I have a host of tutorials and videos to walk you through every option out there.
Today, I’m focusing on how to cut vinyl with a Cricut Joy and apply it to an already built and painted wood sign.
The Cricut Joy is the smallest of the family of machines but has a lot of capabilities.
- Small and compact, does not take up much space to store or use.
- Connects via Bluetooth and can be powered with your phone.
- Cuts long continuous pieces of vinyl for big projects.
- Create custom cards in minutes with a special card cutting mat.
The Joy is intended for smaller projects. But at a low price point, it’s a great way to get into a cutting machine and see if it’s right for you.
Take a look at these Joy projects for more inspiration.
I’m showing you how to create a large wood sign with this small machine.
Wood Sign Supplies
Here are the key supplies you need to make today’s project.
Cricut Joy You can apply this technique to any Cricut machine, but the instructions below are specific to the Joy.
Smart Vinyl in black and gold. The Joy is able to cut vinyl and other material without a mat. It cuts down on prep time and makes this machine even easier to use.
Transfer tape a roll of this tape will help move the vinyl onto the sign. You can purchase Joy-sized vinyl so you don’t have to cut a larger roll down to size.
Cricut tool set The Joy doesn’t come with tools, so this set is essential to making all kinds of projects. You’ll get a cutter, a weeding tool, and a scraper among other items.
Cricut Design Space app You can connect your Joy to a computer tablet or phone. I often use my Joy in the kitchen or with my kids so I opt to pull up Design Space on my phone. This is the software that powers Cricut.
Creating Designs with Cricut
Cricut allows you to use premade designs that you can cut from any material, but it also gives you the option to upload or design your own.
For this project, I used the text tool to type the words I wanted and size them appropriately to fit my sign. You can download this design below and use it to make a wood sign, or create your own.
When cutting with the Joy, the key to making larger projects is to keep any one item smaller than the width of the vinyl. For the words on this sign, no letter is taller than 5 inches. This allows me to cut everything from the narrow Joy vinyl.
- Wood sign
- Black Smart vinyl
- Gold Smart vinyl
- Transfer tape
- Start with a painted or stained wood sign as a base.
- Open Cricut Design Space and upload this SVG or create your own. If you are creating your own it's helpful to size your canvas to match the size of your wood sign. Then add text and graphics. Make sure no one letter is taller than 5 inches so you are able to cut it with the Joy.
- Click Make it and plug in the Cricut Joy. Ensure the fine point blade is loaded into the machine.
- Follow the prompts on the screen to cut the vinyl. Select Smart vinyl from the material list, no mat required, and when prompted load the vinyl into the machine.
- Repeat for each color of vinyl.
- Lay the vinyl flat and use a weeding tool to pull up any excess material. If you have an intricate design, the Brightpad can help you see the cut lines.
- Roll a piece of transfer tape over the final design and press in place with the scraper tool. Then pull off the backing of the vinyl.
- Move your design to the wood sign and use the scraper tool to push it down in place, then peel off the transfer tape.
- Reuse the transfer tape for all parts of the design.
- For added security, press down all pieces of vinyl with your fingers and the scraper tool. Permenant vinyl will hold up really well, there is no need to seal a sign like this.
This process can be done using any Cricut machine. A Maker or Air will allow you to cut up to 12 inches wide and make some larger designs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This large scale wood sign is a nice addition to my fall decor. It’s big enough to take up most of my mantle!
The Cricut Joy is a great machine for creating small and quick projects like cards or labels. But as I just showed you here you can also make large projects using the right technique.
Shop for your own Joy or my other go-to Cricut machines and materials in my Amazon shop.
If you found this helpful, pin and share this post.
Thanks for visiting!