Learn how to make easy construction paper flowers with stems, this simple craft is great for kids and adults.
This post may contain affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy.
Paper flowers are a fun way to create an embellishment for a wreath, frame or card. They can also be made into a paper flower bouquet and given as a gift.
A bouquet of paper flowers made by a child is the perfect Mother’s Day gift. These simple construction paper flowers only require a few simple supplies and are ideal for kids to make.
Paper flowers can also be made with a Cricut which helps cut intricate shapes that you can roll into detailed flowers. This canvas is covered with Cricut rolled paper flowers in the shape of a heart. Watch how easily it comes together.
No cutting machine? No problem. Just follow these easy steps with any colored paper you have on hand to create pretty paper flowers.
Construction paper flower supplies
- Construction paper This is easy to find at any store or pick up a bulk pack of paper. Simple copy paper in different colors will also work for this craft.
- Glue I recommend hot glue for this craft because it holds well and dries quickly. If you opt for a craft glue or glue stick, be prepared to hold the pieces in place for a few minutes until the glue dries.
- Scissors These flowers are a great kids craft and can be cut with anything from a safety scissors to a much larger adult size.
Tips for flowers with construction paper
- The beauty of hand cutting flowers is they will not come out perfect. Your circles don’t have to be exactly round and the rolling doesn’t have to be complete. Each flower will be unique, and slightly different.
- Experiment with different types of shapes to achieve a different type of flower. The one shown in the tutorial below is a circle cut into a spiral. Try cutting a wavy line to create a new type of flower.
- Construction paper
- Hot glue
- Ribbon and tag (optional)
Create the flower stem
- Cut a piece of green construction paper in half.
- Roll 1 half of the paper from corner to corner and glue the end closed creating a long tube.
- Fold the top over to create a triangle and glue in place.
- Set aside while making the flower.
Create the flower center
- Cut a yellow strip of construction paper about 2 inches wide, fold in half lengthwise.
- Cut slips into the fold across the entire piece of paper.
- Start at one end and roll together, gluing the end in place.
Creating the flower and assemble
- Draw a circle on a red piece of construction paper and cut it out.
- Starting at an outside edge, cut the circle into a spiral.
- Place the yellow center onto the end of the red spiral, glue in place.
- Roll the red paper around the yellow stopping at the end tab.
- Let the spiral loosen to your liking, the looser the spiral the bigger the flower.
- Glue the tab to the bottom of the yellow center.
- Glue the flower to the top of the stem.
Add a gift tag and ribbon to a bouquet of flowers to give as a gift.
Ready to make your own construction paper flowers? Be sure to pin and share this post.
Thanks for visiting!