Want to add foil embellishments to your craft and home décor projects? I’m sharing how to use a foil quill pen to do just that. Learn how this simple tool can add some elegance to just about anything you create.
This post contains affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy here.
If you love simple inspiring projects from crafts to home decor, you’ll want to subscribe to Creative Ramblings. Never miss a post! Plus, subscribers receive exclusive access to my VIP library full of printables, games, cut files, art and more.
What is a foil quill?
A foil quill pen is a simple tool that heats up and allows you to transfer foil to a craft project.
This little pen is powered by a USB cord and the tip heats up. The barrell is cool with a soft grip allowing you to hold it and draw like you would with any writing tool.
This pen is used with reactive foil that is easily transferred by heat. You can purchase a pen with a variety of tips from fine to bold allowing you to add different looks and amounts of foil to each craft.
Check out this kit with all 3 pen tips and a sample of foil to get started.
Be sure to watch the video to see how easily you can foil just about anything.
What can you embellish with foil?
The simple answer is just about anything.
This foil will react and stick to most hard surfaces. It should not be used on clothing that will need to be washed.
Try using foil and a pen on hats, purses and accessories. You can use it on canvas, wood, leather and paper too.
I have used the foil quill to embellish a notebook in this project. I have also used it on cards, gift tags and a purse.
This pen can be used to freehand any text or design you can dream up. You can also use a stamp or stencil to guide your design.
I shared how to use a stencil on a purse in this video.
Below, you can see how I used a stamp to guide my pen and foil a notebook.
- Select a surface to foil. For this project I am using a faux leather journal.
- Cut a piece of foil to match the size of your stamp.
- Using washi tape, secure the foil to the notebook.
- Stamp the design using permanent ink onto the foil.
- Use the foil quill pen to draw over all the stamped lines and color in any spaces.
- Lift one side of the foil to check and see if all areas have been foiled, if not lay the foil back down and go over the stamp again.
- When finished, remove and discard the foil and washi tape.
Try using different foil quill tips on your design.
Reactive foil comes in a variety of colors, buy a pack of small sheets to use on your crafts.
To get started foiling your crafts, pick up a kit with everything you need.
- Foil Quill Freestyle Pen Kit – this comes with the 3 freestyle pens in fine medium and bold plus 3 rolls of foil. Everything you need to get started with foiling.
Like this foil project? Be sure to pin and share it.
Are you ready to get started with a foil quill pen? What will you foil first?
Thanks for visiting!