A cute bag is the perfect accessory for those weekly trips to the library. My kids and I have taken that trip at least once a week this summer and our old grocery bag turned book bag is ready for the trash. A new school year seemed like the perfect time for a new library book bag. I made this cute book bag from a canvas tote and fabric scraps using my Silhouette.
This post contains affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy here.
My kids are digging their new library book bag, because they really do love books. I’m thinking I need to make my own soon so I can have a place for my library finds too. This was easy to put together using scraps of fabric, heat transfer vinyl and my Silhouette. You can cut just about anything with a Silhouette including fabric and vinyl.
I Love Books Library Book Bag
- Canvas Tote Bag
- Fabric Scraps
- Heat n Bond Fabric Adhesive
- Heat transfer Vinyl
- Cheese cloth or light weight towel
1. Start by designing your project with the Silhouette design software. I set my design area to the size of my tote then played around with shapes and text until I came up with something I really liked. Once it was laid out perfectly I moved the pieces around so I could cut each material separately.
2. This post will walk you through how to cut and adhere fabric using your Silhouette and Heat n Bond fabric adhesive. Essentially you iron Heat n Bond to the back of the fabric then cut the shapes using the Silhouette. (yes I use a Cricut mat with my Silhouette, it works beautifully and honestly I like it a bit better)
3. Once the book shapes are cut, you will peel the paper backing off of the fabric and iron them adhesive side down to the tote.
4. The text and heart are cut from glitter heat transfer vinyl.
5. Before ironing on the books and text, use a fabric marker to draw a shelf for the books to rest on.
6. Line up the books and glitter vinyl on the canvas tote bag and layer a light weight towel over the top. Iron for 30-60 seconds using firm pressure to adhere everything.
This library book bag is great for kids and adults, it holds a number of books and is sturdy enough for a few drops and drags along the way. I love that each book on this bag is unique and it was created using scraps I had in my craft room.
Thanks for visiting!
Find more Silhouette projects here