I’m going to show you how to make a colorful mermaid popcorn treat and how to DIY mermaid favor bags to serve this popcorn in.
This recipe and craft will make your mermaid themed party! Get all the details below and be sure to share this post with all your mermaid loving friends.
Love themed parties? Check out this unicorn popcorn too!
Mermaids are magical and colorful and just overall super fun. My kids love them and can’t get enough mermaid themed crafts and toys. It’s only natural to start thinking about throwing a mermaid party complete with mermaid popcorn and DIY favor bags. If you are throwing a mermaid party, this post is for you!
This post contains affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy here.
Watch this video for all the details, I share exactly how to make mermaid popcorn and favor bags.The full supply list and recipe are below, here’s some tips to help you get the most from these mermaid projects.
I like to start with air popped white popcorn, no grease and no flavor. This is the perfect base to add color and sweets.
To add color to the popcorn I use Wilton color mist. This spray comes in a rainbow of hues and adds bright color without heavy flavor. There are other ways to color popcorn, with candy melts or chocolate, but for light popcorn this color spray is the way to go.
I mix white, purple and blue popcorn together then add candy and sprinkles to the mermaid popcorn. Look for pastel candy in purple and blue, M&Ms or pearls work really well. Grab some sprinkles in the same colors and add a few mini marshmallows too. Anything that will fit the mermaid color scheme will work in this mix.
Now let me show you how to make the favor bags, which work really well for serving popcorn or as a bag for party favors. Start with white paper lunch bags. Using a 2 inch punch make circles in purple, blue, teal and white glitter. Then glue them to the bag in an overlapping pattern to create the look of scales on a mermaid tail.
Be sure to watch the video for more details, and check below for a full supply list.
- White popcorn
- Wilton Color Mist - blue and purple
- Blue and purple M&MS
- Baking Sheet
- Start with 4 cups of white popcorn, preferably air popped to avoid any grease or excess flavor.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spread about 2/3 of the popcorn in a single layer on the sheet.
- Spray half with purple and half with blue color mist. Allow to dry for a few minutes.
- Mix the colored popcorn in a bowl with the remaining white popcorn.
- Stir in M&Ms, sprinkles and any other colorful mix-ins you choose.
Serve as is, or spoon into mermaid favor bags.
- White paper lunch bags
- Cardstock in purple, blue, teal and white glitter
- 2 inch circle punch
- Glue Stick
- Punch circles from each color of paper, you will need 20 total for 1 bag.
- Starting at the bottom, add a line of glue and overlap 4 circles in a row letting them hang off the edge a bit.
- Repeat this process creating 5 total rows of overlapping circles.
- When the glue dries, trim the excess paper hanging over the edge.
Thanks for visiting!