The perfect drink for fall, learn how to make this mulled apple cider recipe.
I made mulled wine last week and enjoyed every sip along with the aroma that filled my home. This week I’m sharing a recipe with apples, I couldn’t help it, mulling might be my new favorite technique.
This cider is warm and perfect for a sore throat or warding off the chills. It also fills my home with a sweet and spicy aroma that rivals the mulled wine scent. Get all the details below.
Mulling is the process of combining a drink, like cider or wine, with spices and fruit to create a delicious warm concoction. An exact recipe isn’t necessary once you find the perfect taste.
You may love a lot of citrus and prefer to go easy on the cloves. Or you may add cranberries instead of oranges, and skip the liquor.
There are a lot of options, I recommend starting with my basic recipe then tweaking it to make the perfect mulled apple cider for you.
- 3 cups apple cider
- 2 ounces spiced rum
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 orange, sliced
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and simmer until heated through.
- Strain and serve warm with fresh orange slices and a cinnamon stick for garnish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 17mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 3gSugar: 42gProtein: 1g
Watch the recipe video
Here are a few substitutions you may want to try in your mulled apple cider
- Alcohol. I prefer the spicy taste of spiced rum, but you can also use brandy, whiskey, bourbon or dark rum. Or leave out the liquor all together.
- Fruit. I use oranges, but you can try cranberries or another citrus like limes. Try combining a few.
- Spices. This recipe calls for cinnamon and cloves. You can also try star anise or cardamom and vary the amounts of each. Purchase mulled cider mix like this one to take out the guesswork.
- Apple Cider. I always use fresh from the farm apple cider, it’s rich and unprocessed. You can substitute apple juice in a pinch.
This delicious warm drink fills my home with the sweet scent of apples while it simmers and tastes as good as it smells. Simmer it in a crockpot, do not boil, for as long as you like. The longer it simmers, the deeper the flavors will become.
If you are a fan of mulled apple cider be sure to pin this!
Thanks for visiting!