DIY ornaments are half the fun of decorating a tree. Maybe more than half! This year I grabbed some colorful cardstock and made these paper star ornaments and tree topper for 2 of my trees. This craft can be used for any style of tree and they are so fun to make! Read on for all the details.
This post contains affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy here.
If you love simple inspiring projects and recipes you’ll want to subscribe to Creative Ramblings. Never miss a post, plus subscribers receive exclusive access to my VIP library full of printables, games, cut files, art and more.
Today’s post if part of a challenge hosted by At Home DIY Challenges. Check out all the fabulous DIY ornaments below.
Using a pack of scrapbook paper or cardstock and a few basic craft supplies you can create a tree full of ornaments and a pretty tree topper.
- Paper trimmer
- Hot glue
- Start with 2 squares of paper. For an ornament the squares should measure 4 inches each, for a tree topper use the full 12 inch piece of paper.
- Fold and unfold the paper along along the dotted lines shown below to create creases. You will fold in half both ways then diagonal both ways. Unfold and lay flay before the next step.
- Fold up one corner of the paper and match the edge to the center line. Then unfold.
- Mark the paper where that fold and the center fold meet.
- Repeat this on all 4 sides of the paper square.
- Cut a slit along the fold line to the pencil mark on each side of the paper.
- To make the points of the stars fold each corner inward, then overlap the flaps and secure with glue.
- Repeat this process for each square of paper.
- Use hot glue to attach 2 sides of the star together.
To make a tree topper follow the steps above then cut a hole in the bottom of the star and slide it over the top branch of the tree.
I have 3 Christmas trees this year. The one above is our classic gold tree. A tall evergreen with primarily gold ornaments mixed with other metallics and white. Then there is the colorful modern white tree. Each of these trees has paper star ornaments and a paper tree topper. Using different paper for each tree, these stars go so well with both styles.
The third tree is my kid’s tree, it’s silver and colorful and full of all of their favorite ornaments.
A few tips for making these paper star ornaments.
- Use paper instead of cardstock for easy folding. Once you get the hang of these folds, you’ll be able to make them out of cardstock.
- Try using a tape runner like this instead of hot glue to secure the stars. It’s nicer on your fingers and holds really well.
- To add the tree topper to your tree just cut a hole in the bottom with a craft knife and slip it over the top branch of your tree.
If you want to make these ornaments, be sure to pin this and save the instructions.
Thanks for visiting!