Learn how to make a patriotic layered jello shot with this recipe and tips.
A red white and blue drink is a fun way to celebrate the 4th of July or any other summer holiday. You can try a classic layered cocktail, or a frozen red white and blue drink. Or you can put your mixology skills to the test and make these red white and blue layered jello shots.
This post contains affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy here.
I am partnering with some other cocktail lovers to bring you a host of summer drinks. Pin these recipes and try them all this summer, you and your guests will be happy you did.
How to make a Jello shot
An alcoholic recipe for jello shots is made with flavored gelatin and hot water, as usual, but some of the water is swapped out for vodka or another clear alcohol.
The ratio matters. Too much vodka and the jello won’t set, you’ll end up with a sloppy mess of a shot. Too little and these are just jello in a cup without the kick. Still festive, but probably not what you are going for.
Layering a Jello shot takes a little more skill but read through this post and follow my tips and you’ll be making these in no time.
The key to a perfect layered shot is timing. Make sure you have a few hours ahead of you before starting this recipe. Each layer needs to set in the refrigerator for 60 minutes so you can add the next layer without mixing colors.
How to make a layered jello shot
Gather your supplies. You’ll need small plastic cups with lids for the shots. You’ll also need the following
- Blue Jello flavor
- Red Jello flavor
- Unflavored gelatin
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Hot water
- Hot pads
- Tray to hold the shots
- Glass heat resistant bowls for mixing and pouring – this bowl is ideal for making layered shots
Start with blue Jell-o as the bottom layer. Mix it up according to the recipe below and fill 24 plastic cups with a small amount of blue Jell-o. Then refrigerate the entire tray and let it set before moving on.
The second, white layer, is made using sweetened condensed milk. It adds a creamy flavor and it’s the only way I’ve found to get a white layer into this shot. Pour the white layer on top of the blue, the blue should be soft set and hold the white without the colors bleeding together.
Adding the white between the red and blue clearly separates the colors and makes the 3 layers look crisp and eye-catching.
Refrigerate the shots again for 60 minutes to let the second layer set.
Finally mix up the red Jell-o and add it on top of the white layer. Give these shots a final cool down in the fridge for at least 1 hour and you are ready to serve!
Store these jello shots in a cooler or refrigerator until you are ready to serve them. Especially in the warm summer months, they will start to melt and break down quickly.
Give this layered jello shot a try, you’ll get about 2 dozen using these cups.
If you like this layered jello shot, pin it now and try the recipe this summer.
Make 4th of July jello shots for your summer party, create a delicious drink that stands out on the buffet table. Guests will be excited to try one of these patriotic shots.
- 3oz Blue Jello
- 3oz Red Jello
- .25 Unflavored gelatin
- 7oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2.25 cups vodka
- 3.25 cups hot water
- Mix blue jello powder with 1.25 cups of hot water and stir until dissolved. Add 3/4 cup vodka and mix well.
- Pour blue jello into 2oz shot cups filling 1/3 of the way full.
- Refrigerate for 60 minutes.
- Miz .25 oz (1 packet) or unflavored gelatin with 3/4 cup hot water and stir until dissolved. Add 3/4 cup vodka and stir.
- Mix in 7oz. sweetened condensed milk and stir until combined.
- Remove blue jello shots from the refrigerate and pour white jello mixture on top, filling a third of the cup.
- Refrigerate for 60 minutes.
- Mix red jello powder with 1.25 cups of hot water and stir until dissolved. Add 3/4 cup vodka and mix well.
- Remove jello shots from the refrigerator.
- Pour red jello on top of the first two layers and refrigerate for 60 minutes until set.
- The key to perfectly layered cups is allowing the shots to set after each layer, don't skip this part!
- Make these a day ahead of time and store in the refrigerator, they need time to set before eating.
- Try using flavored vodka for a fun twist.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 73Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 22mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
Watch the video to see just how easily these red white and blue jello shots come together.
Now take a look at these delicious summer cocktails and click over for the full recipe.
Pina Colada Sangria from Happy Go Lucky Blog • Blueberry Pomegranate Martini from Weekend Craft • Canadian Sunset from Red Cottage Chronicles • Red White and Blue Layered Jello Shots from Creative Ramblings • Irish Whiskey Summer Iced Tea from Our Crafty Mom
Thanks for visiting!