A classic recipe dressed up for the season. Learn how to make this simple Easter puppy chow and a few ideas for sharing it this Spring.
This post may contain affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy here.
What is puppy chow
A sweet treat that’s easy to make. This simple recipe takes me back to the 90’s, maybe it’s been around longer, but the nostalgia is squarely in the 90’s for me.
My Mom was never a fan, but puppy chow was always served at my friend’s houses making it an extra special treat. It was a mystery to me, I never really knew what was in it. Only that it tasted amazing. It wasn’t until I was an adult that I started making it myself.
The recipe is simple, in fact, it can be found on the back of a box of Chex cereal!
Puppy chow or muddy buddies is made with Chex cereal and the delicious combination of chocolate and peanut butter.
The cereal is coated in melted chocolate and peanut butter then covered with powdered sugar, seriously what’s not to love.
Easter Puppy Chow
This treat can be dressed up for any season or holiday including Easter. I picked up a bag of mini robin eggs chocolates and mixed them into the final bowl of puppy chow.
This adds fun Spring colors to a white treat. You could also use M&Ms in pastel colors or Cadbury chocolates with a candy coating.
For other holidays, add in colored candy and you have an instant seasonal treat.
Red and green M&Ms for Christmas, orange and black for Halloween. This could become your go-to snack for all holidays.
How to serve puppy chow
My family likes to eat this right out of the big bowl, but it can be hard to stop at a serving. It’s best to portion out a cup and enjoy every last piece.
Dividing it up into small containers or zip bags and attaching labels is a cute way to distribute this snack to kids for Easter. It would make a nice addition to an Easter basket too.
Keep in mind, this snack does contain peanut butter so use caution with anyone who has a nut allergy.
If you like this simple recipe, be sure to pin and share it.
These are a few of my go-to products when making puppy chow.
- Silicone spatula – the non stick, heat resistant properties make mixing really easy
- Extra large mixing bowl
- Gallon zip bags – check out these reusable options
Take a look at the full recipe and learn how to make your own Easter puppy chow.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup Mini Robin Eggs candy
- In a small saucepan combine semi-sweet chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter. Simmer and stir until all ingredients are melted and combined.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Remove from heat and pour over Chex in a large bowl. Stir until all the cereal is evenly coated.
- Transfer the coated cereal to a large zip bag and add powdered sugar. Seal the bag and shake until the sugar completely covers the cereal.
- Pour the puppy chow onto a parchment-lined baking sheet to cool.
- Once cool transfer to a bowl, discard the excess powdered sugar and mix in the mini robin eggs candy.
- Serve immediately.
- Store in an air-tight container at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 154mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 5g