Learn how to make yarn using an old t-shirt. These t-shirt bracelets are fun to make and wear, a craft project for all ages.
This post may contain affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy here.
What is t-shirt yarn?
T-shirt yarn is simply yarn made from a t-shirt. Watch the beginning of the video in this post to see how you cut it, it’s so easy.
Lay a t-shirt flat on a surface and cut the hem off the bottom. Then cut 1 inch strips all the way up the shirt.
Take 1 strip, and stretch until it forms a tube of yarn. Then cut the circle open. You can use this piece to make the types of bracelets I’m showing you today.
How to make a t-shirt bracelet
Once you have cut a number of strips of t-shirt yarn, you can put them together to make a bracelet. Take a look at how to make this simple braided t-shirt bracelet.
- Old t-shirt
- 2 jewelry clamps
- 2 jump rings
- 1 clasp
- Washi tape or painter's tape
- Jewelry pliers
- Lay a t-shirt flat on a surface, line up the ends.
- Cut off the hem, cutting through both the front and back of the shirt. Discard this part.
- Measure up 1 inch from the bottom and cut through both layers. Repeat this step up the shirt until you reach the arms.
- With 1 circle of t-shirt fabric, stretch and pull it until it forms a tube.
- Cut the circle open to create the yarn.
- Fold the tops of 3 colors of yarn on top of one another and place a clamp over them. Squeeze shut with a jewelry pliers.
- Tape the clamped end to a table and braid the strands.
- At the end, cut off the excess and clamp it closed just like in step 1.
- Attached a jump ring and clasp to one end and a jump ring to the other.
Cut up old t-shirts into yarn and keep them on hand to make all kinds of jewelry and projects.
Another fun bracelet is this beaded wrap version that can also be worn as a necklace.
Start with one long strip of t-shirt yarn and beads. Use beads like these that have a large enough hole to string the yarn through. I used painters tape on the end so make threading easier.
String the beads onto the yarn then tie the 2 ends together. Space the beads apart along the yarn, covering the knot with a bead. Then wrap this around your wrist for a bracelet, or around your neck for a necklace.
T-shirt yarn is so easy to make, keep those old shirts and cut them up. You can make jewelry with the yarn, or even knit with it! Tie strands together into one long balls of yarn and knit a scarf. So many possibilities.
Like these projects? Be sure to pin and share.
Thanks for visiting!
This post was originally published in 2015, updated in 2020 with new techniques and a video.