Hey there Creative Ramblers. Tracy here again to share an easy craft project with you. This craft is super easy, and kinda addicting. Once I started I just wanted to make more and more. Oh, guess I better tell you what I made. I hope you love these T-shirt Bracelets as much as I do. I literally made one just before I was meeting a friend for a playdate and decided to wear it for her opinion, she loved it! So I guess you could say they are friend tested, friend approved. Go grab some old T-shirts and lets get started!
Since I have two teens we have an abundance of t-shirts and it doesn’t take long before they don’t fit or until they decide the t-shirt is out of style. If the cotton is in good shape I always save them for projects like this. You’ll also need some jewelry findings, For these bracelets I am using a large 3 strand hook clasp, 5 strand clasp and figure eight connectors.
To make all of these bracelets you’ll need to start out cutting up your shirts starting at the bottom hem. If you have a cutting board and rotary cutter you can fold the shirt, smooth out any wrinkles and cut through multiple layers. You’ll need 1/2 inch strips of t-shirt material. Hold each end of the tshirt strip and pull. Did you know you could make t-shirt string or yarn?
We’ll start with the easier bracelet first. I used 3 different colored t-shirts for this, you can use what ever color(s) you like. This bracelet only uses one of the figure eight connectors.
- Fold two sets of 3 t-shirt strands in half, one for each side of the connector.
- Insert the folds through each side of the connector. Pull through to leave a small loop
- Put the ends of t-shirt strands through though the loops you just created. Pull the knot tight.
- Tie the ends together large enough to fit around your wrist. Cut the ends.
I ended up using a small cup to help me like an extra hand.
This bracelet is all about the clasp. The craft store had lots of different clasps and things to choose from, this clasp has 3 holes on each side. Since each hole was large enough, the strands pass through multiple times. This bracelet only uses 3 t-shirt strands.
- Leave the clasp closed. Put the ends of one strand through the top hole on each side. Pull the ends through evenly leaving enough to go around your wrist.
- Take the long ends around your wrist then back through that same hole. Pull the ends back around. If your strands are long enough you can do this, if not then stop here.
- Repeat weaving a strand the same way for the other holes on the clasp.
- Tie your ends together and then cut the excess off.
This last bracelet is my favorite, maybe because of the color. There are 5 holes on each side of this clasp, small holes. It was tricky getting the t-shirt strands through the holes for this one.
- Leave the clasp closed. Like the bracelet above start with the top 2 holes on the clasp. Put the strand through the holes leaving a wrist size opening as many times as you can.
- Repeat for all 5 holes
- cut excess off
I was able to have each strand go around the wrist 4 times for this bracelet. It’s a little tight. The t-shirt material will give some and stretch. When making any of these you have to consider your wrist size and the length of your t-shirt strand as different size t-shirts will make different length strands.
What color t-shirt bracelet will you be making?
Thanks again for having me here. Come visit me At Home with Sweet T to see the bracelet holder I made and where these bracelets will be when I’m not wearing them. Don’t miss this bracelet I made with a zipper and this other bracelet, you’ll have to see what I used to make it. I’d love to have you stop by! Until next time…